Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Book of the Week: Gwendolen Fairfax Journal

Every week I want to showcase an item from my Etsy shop--in which i'll describe my inspiration, what went into it, how it was made, etc. This week, the first, I've chosen the Gwendolen Fairfax Journal I made a few months ago that's really become the symbol of my shop. 

A while ago, my sister and I were watching the Importance of Being Earnest (the one with Colin Firth and Rupert Everett) and I was enthralled by Gwendolen's line: "I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train." 

And that idea really stuck with me. (Actually, her tiny little journal was one of the reasons I started doing a collection of mini journals too.) But it was also the idea that a journal should capture the spirit of the person who writes in it. Gwendolen's journal, I thought, should be completely feminine, and immaculate--as if one had to be a real lady to simply keep the dirt from getting to it. So I used flowered paper and white-cream colored bookcloth to cover the journal inspired by her. 

From that idea, many more journals arose. I've done ones based on Pinocchio, Wendy Darling, Marie Antoinette, Teddy Roosevelt, and more. And really, that's become the central idea of my shop. Make books that will reflect their future owners, if not by style, than by the characters that inspire them. 

Interested in this book? Find it for sale: here

Or find something else that inspires you here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...